A vendor delivered something and is waiting for a check. You don’t have time to receive the items, post the vendor’s invoice & select the voucher for payment. A check is either hand written or Task #8 Immediate check printing, is used (The vendor invoice #, your PO #, etc… is written on the check stub). The check stub goes into a file or book to be posted into the computer at a later time.
Someone in Receiving has received and vendor invoiced the merchandise for a few of these immediate/manual checks. They have been posted to A/P without the manual check #.
Several of the manual check stubs need to be posted into the computer before month end. First you need to find out which vouchers have already been posted into A/P without the immediate/manual check #.
Go into Accounts Payable (Module 3)
- Vendor account inquiry (Task 27)
- Look up the vendor. Look for the vendor’s invoice #, amount, etc… to find out if any of the vendor invoices have already been vouchered. Write the voucher # on your manual check stub in red pen.
Mark Vouchers paid:
Take the manual/immediate check stub, with the voucher # written on it, and one at a time, go into Accounts Payable (Module 3)
Voucher payment preparation (Task 25)
- Select voucher to be paid (Sub-task 1). Select the already posted voucher, all by itself. (See document titled: Task 25 - Voucher Payment Preparation.
- Print an edit list (Sub-task 3) to make sure it is selected all by itself. The edit list must be the exact amount of your immediate/manual check.
Pay selected vouchers (Sub-task 4).
- Use payment method 1 Company check.
- When it asks for the starting check #, put in your manual check #.
- Type in the date of the manual check.
- When it asks, Print checks? Answer No.
- If you say no to Print checks, you should then get the printer screen for the check register. Make appropriate selections.
- Have check forms been removed from printer? answer Yes.
- You will then get your check register. Print, save & put on the A/P balancing spreadsheet, just like normal.
As long as everything is correct, say YES to Payment of vouchers OK?
- If anything is wrong say NO & go back to Sub-task 3 Print payment edit list or Sub-task 2 Cancel vouchers selected above.
This procedure needs to be followed for each manual/immediate check stub which already has a voucher posted.
- Voucher payment preparation (Task 25)
The manual/immediate check stubs that haven’t already been vouchered will need to be vouchered. Follow the instructions on the documents titled: Credit Card - Pay Vendor at Time of Purchase or Task 01 - Voucher Entry and Editing
If they are for inventory, they should go through the purchase order module.
If the manual/immediate check isn’t for inventory it should go through the A/P module, Task #1 Voucher entry & editing.
The check stubs for the manual/immediate that you already paid going through Task #25 Voucher payment preparation, will be skipped.
Another document which might be of assistance is: Payment After Invoice is Vouchered Using a Credit Card or EFT
NOTE: Don’t ever delete any vouchers. If something is posted twice a credit voucher should be posted.